Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Mission Music

Last updated: February 9th, 2015

Because each mission can be so different in regards to approved music, I have compiled a list of music that follows the church approved guidelines: 

"Listen only to music that is consistent with the sacred
spirit of your calling. Music should invite the Spirit,
help you focus on the work, and direct your thoughts
and feelings to the Savior. Do not listen to music that
pulls your thoughts away from your work, merely
entertains, has romantic lyrics or overtones, or dulls
your spiritual sensitivity by its tempo, beat, loudness,
lyrics, or intensity."


I try to picture myself listening to a specific song or artist while studying the scriptures with my companion, or driving in the car on the way to meet with an investigator. 

By following this church's guidelines, I also found that there is a ton of non-denominational Christian music that makes me feel incredibly excited to start my mission. 

Here is a visually friendly guide:
Red: other Christian
Blue: well-known LDS 
Purple: instrumental/other

Most color-coding will be based on artists. Most songs will be black, but some will be color-coded if it doesn't match the color given to the artist. 

So, without further adieu, enjoy: 

  •  Addison Kirk
    • Called To Serve
    • Onward Christian Soldiers
    • Farewell Medley 
    • I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go
  • All Sons & Daughters
    • Your Glory/Nothing But The Blood (Live)
    • Christ Be All Around Me
  • Anne Britt
    • Does The Journey Seem Long?
  • Audrey Assad (This was a dynamite discovery)
    • Lead, Kindly Light**
      • (One of the best versions of this song)
    • Lead Me On
    • I Shall Not Want
    • Good to Me
    • You Speak
    • Restless
    • Love Is Moving
    • Humble
  • Autumn Jones Wagner
    • Come Unto Christ
  • Bellarive
    • I Know You **
  • Bethany Dillon
    • How Great Is Our God
    • Let Your Light Shine
    • Hallelujah 
  • Beyond 5
    • I Need Thee Every Hour
  • Britt Nicole
    • Set The World On Fire (Acoustic)**
    • Walk On Water (Acoustic)
      • **This is probably going to be the theme song of my mission**
    • The Lost Get Found (Acoustic)
    • Found By You (Acoustic)
    • The Sun Is Rising
  • BYU Vocal Point
    • I Stand All Amazed
    • Lead, Kindly Light
    • I Need Thee Every Hour
    • Be Still, My Soul
    • Nearer, My God, To Thee
    • Praise To The Man (A Capella)
  • Chad Woolner
    • Does The Journey Seem Long?
    • How Great Thou Art
  • Chris Rice
    • Rock Of Ages
    • Come Thou Fount
  • City Hymns
    • How Long, Oh Lord
  • Colton Avery
    • Listen
  • Daniel Beck
    • Abide With Me 'Tis Eventide
  • David Potter
    • Be Thou My Vision**
  • David Tolk
    • In Perfect Silence**
    • Redeemer of Israel
    • For the Beauty of the Earth/Beautiful Savior
  • Elizabeth Ganier & Linze Struiksma
    • Savior, Redeemer Missionary Medley
  • Hillsong United
    • Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)**
  • Jenessa Buttars
    • The Girl I Am
  • Jenny & Tyler
    • When Darkness Falls
  • Jessica French
    • When I Go
  • Jill Phillips
    • Sacred
  • JJ Heller
    • All I Need
    • Your Hands
    • Have Mercy On Me
    • Kingdom Come
  • Julie Yardley
    • Even When You're Broken
  • Kari Jobe
    • Be Still
    • Here (acoustic)
  • Laura Hackett
    • You Satisfy My Soul
    • How He Loves 
  • Laura Story
    • Blessings
  • Lindsey Kane
    • It Is Well (feat. Bethany Dillon)
  • Lisa Gungor
    • When You Come
  • The Lower Lights
    • For the Beauty of the Earth
    • There Is A Green Hill Far Away**
    • Lead, Kindly Light
    • Be Thou My Vision
    • I Stand All Amazed
    • Nearer My God To Thee
    • Where Can I Turn For Peace?
    • God Be With You Till We Meet Again
  • Lyndsi Houskeeper
    • Come Unto Christ
  • Nela Otuafi
    • How Can I Be?
  • Noteworthy
    • Come, Come Ye Saints
  • Pablo Perez
    • My God is King (feat. Laura Hackett)
  • Patch Crow
    • All I Need To Know
  • Paul Cardell
    • (Basically Anything)
    • I Know That My Redeemer Lives
    • Redeemer ** 
    • Life and Death **
    • I Love To See The Temple
    • Israel, Israel God Is Calling
    • The Spirit of God
    • I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go
    • Letting Go
    • Coming Home
    • Sweet is the Work
    • Come Thou Fount
  • Prince of Egypt Soundtrack (I was very careful with these songs to make sure they were not just for entertainment purposes)
    • The Burning Bush 
    • When You Believe (by Michelle Pfeiffer and Sally Dworsky)
  • Rob Gardner
    • He Is Jesus Christ
    • A Poor Wayfaring Man Of Grief
    • Praise To The Man
    • I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go
    • More Holiness Give Me
    • Beautiful Savior
    • Come Thou Fount 
    • I Know That My Redeemer Lives
    • Come, Come Ye Saints
    • You Have Nothing To Fear
    • Gethsemane
    • Jesus, My Savior
    • Finale (Here Is Hope)
  • Shane & Shane
    • Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)
  • Sleeping At Last
    • Saturn
  • Steven Sharp Nelson
    • Beautiful Savior
    • Be Still My Soul
    • Come, Come Ye Saints
    • God Be With You Till We Meet Again
    • Redeemer (feat. Paul Cardall)
    • Come Thou Fount (feat. Paul Cardall)
    • God Be With You (feat. Paul Cardall)
    • Still, Still, Still (feat. Marshall McDonald)
  • Sufjan Stevens
    • Come Thou Fount
  • Tenth Avenue North
    • I Need You, I Love You, I Want You
    • Times
    • Worn**
  • United Guitar Players
    • How Great Thou Art
  • Will Morrison (Another totally dynamite find)
    • 10,000 Reasons (Acoustic)
    • Forever Reign (Acoustic)
    • How Deep the Father's Love (Acoustic)
    • How He Loves (Acoustic)
    • I Need Thee Every Hour (Acoustic)
    • Mighty to Save (Acoustic)
    • Oceans (Acoustic)
    • One Thing Remains (Your Love Never Fails) (Acoustic)
  • Will Reagan
    • How He Loves (feat. Laura Hackett)
And for my Spanish-speaking friends! 

  • Kari Jobe
    • Espera
  • Samaritan Revival
    • Oceanos
  • Su Presencia 
    • 10,000 Razones
    • Cuan Grade Es El
  • Marcela Gandara
    • El Mismo Cielo
    • Guía Nuestro Camino
    • Lugar De Intimidad
  • Nela Otuafi
    • Como Puedo Ser
  • Yvonne Muñoz 
    • Dios Te Guardará

** These are the songs I pretty much can't live without. Seriously, these are dynamite. 


I will be continually updating this playlist as I begin to find more great songs. Please comment with any suggestions! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment