Thursday, March 12, 2015

Final Thoughts from the Missionary Training Center

Man, I wish I could write everything that I have experienced. 

First of all: thank you to EVERYONE who wrote my DearElders and everyone who wrote me emails! I read every single one of those and I appreciated them more than you know. I wish I could have taken the time to write each of you back. But please know I appreciated them. 

Second of all: Big thanks to my awesome roommates for the great package full of my favorite things and things I didn't expect! It was my favorite delievery from the MTC and I am so grateful for that. 

One funny thing: I decided to change my name to Hermana Granger. (badum CHA!)

But really! The MTC has gotten so much better. I have made lots of friends, and my companionship has gotten stronger. I learned to love my district despite all our many challenges. I am so sad to leave. I'm scared because tomorrow morning I will be heading to Atlanta! This is real now! The MTC has been great practice, but I know the real thing will be different. 

I have learned how to appreciate the day as it comes. If I look back or look forward, it becomes overwhelming. I begin to think of my lack of sleep, of the many months ahead of me. But I have learned to give my all each day and then at the end of the day, praying to my Father and asking Him to take what I did today and make something of it. 

The best thing I learned this week was about repentance. I have always assumed that repentance was something very painful and very trying. Which it is. 

But on Sunday, we had a mission conference in which President Trost taught us more about repentance. He explained it like this: 

On the day we must face our Heavenly Father and be judged for our faith and works in this life, he might ask us certain questions. He might ask us things like: "How were you as a parent?" We will naturally remember all the times we lost our tempers, all the times we weren't enough for our children. But He will show us the good times. When we remind Him of the bad things we have done, He will say, "I don't remember that." 

When He asks me how I fulfilled my calling as a missionary, I will remember all the times I passed up an opportunity to talk to someone, or each time I broke a rule. When I remind Him of this, He will say, "I don't remember that." 

Alma 32:26-27 talks about faith. It explains that we need to experiment upon the word. It says that we need only have a desire to believe, and He will work within us. 

That is the beauty of our Heavenly Father. He loves us so much that He asks us just to have a desire to believe. He has provided a way through His Son for us to be forgiven for our sins, but He will also remember our sins no more as we make a change and turn to Christ. 

This is so beautiful! My joy is full as I think of this doctrine. 

I love being a missionary. I am so excited to be a part of this work.

Con Amor, 

Hermana Abram

0 comments:

Post a Comment