Monday, March 23, 2015

The Latin America Melting Pot Mission

Turns out my flight didn't actually land in Atlanta. I'm in some strange country with a lot of different people from a lot of different places that all speak Spanish. Serious culture shock! 

Okay so cool story: I really have had a kind of hard time with the language. Which I expected, but not this much. I can communicate, but not all I want to say. BUT the other day we were in a lesson with the Urueta family and we heard some of their questions and doubts about the gospel. Hna Martinez was doing most of the talking, but I had a sure prompting to begin speaking. So I opened my mouth, and out spilled the words, "As a representative of Jesus Christ, I promise you..." I don't remember what I promised at all, probably because it wasn't me promising anything. I took a back seat and Spanish words just came flowing out in a way that they never have before. It was incredible. It gave me the strength and push that I needed to keep opening my mouth about Jesus Christ. 

The other cool story was when we were tracting (knocking doors). We were on exchanges so I wasn't with Sister Martinez. My new companion Sister Stout didn't speak any Spanish, so I prayed we wouldn't run into a hispanic family. Of course we did! I silently begged Heavenly Father to help me speak and as I began to speak in Spanish, I was able to teach her a principle, and get a return appointment with her and her family next week. This was so cool for me because I didn't have Sis Martinez there to catch me. I had to rely on what I knew and I had to rely on the Spirit. 

This week, Elder Zwick from the Seventy came to our Zone Conference. It was a great experience and I learned so much, especially about working with members. Okay, if the missionaries ask you for help, PLEASE HELP THEM. I wish I could explain how important members are in missionary work! He said something that really stuck with me: "It's one thing to have 4 missionaries in a ward, and it's another thing to have 15 million in the world." You are all missionaries!
Elder Zwick shared a lot of really great things that I wish I had the words to explain. Needless to say, it was a wonderful opportunity :) 

Now for the crazy stuff...

I had my first baptism yesterday!!! 

Clarissa Urueta was baptized and confirmed a member de La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias. 

People aren't kidding when they say everything falls through right before a baptism! We lost our speaker, our director, our piano player, our jumpsuits, our plug to fill the font, and our sanity. 

BUT, through the help of the Lord, everything went smoothly and the family had a wonderful experience. 

SO! On Saturday, a very cool video will be coming out called "Because He Lives." 

I am so excited to be a missionary with this video! It is right in time for Easter and it is a touching video about our Savior and the impact his life has on our lives. 

When you see it, PLEASE watch it and PLEASE share it. You won't regret it! 

One final thought I would like to leave with is from Sister Zwick's talk on Friday: 

"When we feel down or we feel discouraged, we ought to put our hand in the Lord's hand and say: 'You know, I'm not much, but I love you and I will serve you.'"

The Lord only asks for us to turn our hearts to Him. And in doing so, we are promised more blessings than we have room enough to receive. 

Me encanta este evangelio y estoy muy agradecida de estar aqui con esta gente. Yo se que vive mi Senor y yo se que esta igesia tiene la plenitud del evangelio de Jesucristo. El nunca nos dejaria solos. 

Con amor, 

Hermana Abram

0 comments:

Post a Comment